|Summary||Video||2016’s Presenting Companies||Expert Panels||Photo Gallery|
2016 Recap and Highlights
Fostering Transatlantic Business Partnerships and Investment Opportunities in Life Sciences and IT
On September 28th, 2016, Invest in Bavaria hosted the fifth annual Bavarian Investors’ Conference in New York City. This year’s OktoberINVESTFest brought together more than 300 US and German investors, innovators, industry leaders, Bavarian state representatives as well as a number of innovative North American and German small and micro-cap companies as well as some early stage investment opportunities. The resulting business and investment ties will deepen transatlantic relations and encourage economic and scientific exchange.
The panel discussions ranged from managing and building your transatlantic business to how the industrial internet will explode by 2020. Panelists included leaders in the fields of technology, venture capital, IT and Healthcare such as Wolfgang Rubrecht, VP Factory Automation, Siemens, one of Bavaria’s corporate stars, Don O’Toole, Head of Watson IoT Alliances and Ecosystem, IBM, which recently opened their European Watson IoT headquarter in Munich, Marco Ciaffi, Sr. Engineering Manager, Draper Labs, Ashok Kumar, Head of Equity Research, Joseph Gunnar & Co. LLC, our valued partner of our 2016 conference.
Since innovations are on the rise in 2016 we innovated ourselves by hosting two fireside chats, giving insights on the Cancer Moonshot 2020 Initiative and how IoT changes today’s sport business. Dr. Dvorit Samid, Cancer Moonshot 2020 Initiative committee member, gave an inspiring talk on what the Cancer Moonshot means and how important it is to our society. Tom Spock and Frank Hawkins, both being former NFL executives, provided the insight scoop what IoT will do for the sports industry today and in the future.
The keynote address was just as invigorating. Kevin Harris, Senior Economist and Director North America, Roubini Global Economics, spoke on global economies and how they differentiate themselves to stay ahead.
Finally, in honor of Oktoberfest, the world’s largest funfair, held in Munich, Bavaria, the Conference ended with traditional Bavarian beer and food. Undoubtedly, OktoberINVESTfest 2016 played a big role in fostering transatlantic investment by enabling U.S. and Bavarian investors to learn about promising businesses and the ways to finance business expansion. The Conference also spurred deal making by providing investors access to an array of promising investment opportunities and companies access to capital for funding their next innovations and expansions.
2016’s Presenting Companies
Speakers, Sorted by Family Name
- Martin Bachmayer, Global Business Dev. Lead, Fraunhofer
- Quintus Bartscherer, CEO QUBA GmbH, Munich Based Tax Advisory
- Marco Ciaffi, Sr. Engineering Manager, Draper Labs
- James Grundvig, Freelance Journalist, Huffington Post, Author
- Dr. Joann Halpern, Director, German Center for Research and Innovation
- Kevin Harris, Senior Economist and Director North America, Roubini Global Economics
- Frank Hawkins, Founding Partner of Scalar Media
- Ashok Kumar, Head of Equity Research, Joseph Gunnar & Co. LLC
- Don O'Toole, Head of IBM Watson IoT Alliances & Ecosystem
- Wolfgang Rubrecht, VP and head of the Factory Automation Business Unit, Siemens Industry, Inc.
- Dr. Simon Sabel, Lawyer, Counsel at CMS Hasche Sigle
- Dr. Dvorit Samid, Head of Global Oncology Medical Affairs progam, NantKwest
- Dr. David Sans, PhD, MBA, FAARM, Healthcare Banking in Capital Markets, Joseph Gunnar
- Tim Schumann, Founder and CEO of BuddyVentures’
- Thomas E. Spock, Founding Partner of Scalar Media Partners